There are many types of mental health issues the world currently faces and ADHD is among the most common illnesses. Year after year, a significant growth in the number of college students has been observed which lead to the development of different types of drugs as part of ADHD treatment. With technological and research advancements, more and more types of ADHD drugs are developed and to help further improve or cure the symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
Having a life constantly confronted with ADHD symptoms is a hard and challenging one. But there is an effective response to these problems and the first is by acquiring the right and proper knowledge about these medicines that have been developed exclusively for ADHD treatment. The following list of information is about the recently formulated drugs used for ADHD treatment which can be very much helpful in determining the most appropriate medication:
• Adderall / Adderall XR – Amphetamine Mixed Salts is the most popular term used for Adderall. Active ingredients found in this drug are Dextroamphetamine and Amphetamine. Amphetamine Mixed Salts can be acquired either in capsule or tablet medication with varying levels of dosage and strength depending on the ADHD case of the patient.
• Concerta – the main active ingredient in this drug is methylphenidate which classified it as a specific type of methylphenidate HCl drug. The main characteristic of this drug is the time release technology incorporated in its formulation.
• Daytrana – is also another specific type of methylphenidate drug. It is unique and different among the rest of methylphenidate drugs in the sense that it is applied on the skin and not orally.
• Methylin – is a popular medication for ADHD treatment among children. It is a chewable tablet with methylphenidate as its active ingredient. It also comes in varying dosage forms like 2.5 mg, 5 mg, and 10 mg.
• Metadate CD – is another type of drugs with methylphenidate as its active ingredient. However, it is more commonly used as a complimentary medication for therapeutic interventions.
• Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin SR – is the first developed methylphenidate drug. It used to be the most widely used ADHD drug but is now overshadowed by newer versions and more effective ADHD medications.
• Strattera – unlike the rest of the aforementioned ADHD drugs, Strattera is a non-stimulant type of drug. It is also generally safe to use and can even be prescribed without the physical presence of a doctor.
The list of drugs above does not reflect the entire population of ADHD drugs used today. Some people may take it for granted but being knowledgeable with the drugs used in ADHD treatment is an essential component in making the whole treatment genuinely successful.
Determining the right time to take drugs for ADHD treatment. . .
ADHD medications mentioned above may have been proven to be very effective as ADHD treatment but it is still not wise to immediately resort to such an option. Proper diagnosis by a certified medical expert is still a very crucial step in not just determining the type of ADHD the student has but the level of severity as well. Doing so will also help them get informed on all the essential data about the appropriate drugs to use.
eMed TV. ADHD Medications. Retrieved March 27, 2011 from http://adhd.emedtv.com/adhd/adhd-medications.html